The Derby High School band is in a fundraising campaign, utilizing the power of the Internet.
The campaign is soliciting direct donations through www.kickstarter.com, instead of sales or other traditional measures such as car washes, according to Suzanne Lane, fundraising chair for the Derby Band Boosters. Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects which started in 2009 and at least two other Derby projects have utilized the website to fund business opportunities.
Through the website, band supporters can watch a short video about the band’s need for funds for its halftime show. The $5,000 in funding will help pay for music, choreography and equipment.
The band has over $3,400 in pledges and has until June 8 to get the remainder.
“The first day raising over $400 was a wonderful start, some of the donors being people who found us on Kickstarter’s website,” Lane said.
If the band does not reach the $5,000 goal, the pledged funds are not taken off the donor’s credit card. If the band does reach the goal, the funds are taken from the credit card.
If more than $5,000 is raised, it will be used for travel, snacks and refreshments, as well as savings toward future band trips. That savings account was used this past year to fund a band trip to Washington, D.C.
A 5 percent fee is kept by Kickstarter from all donations through the website.
“The band is a wonderful group of kids, they have wonderful leadership skills, integrity and manners,” Lane said. “I am happy to be a volunteer for the band, and I appreciate everyone’s support with this new and highly visible fundraising platform.”
How to donate
• Go to www.kickstarter.com and search for Derby Panthers Marching Band. Use a credit card to pledge a donation. The money will not be taken off the card until fundraising goals are met.
Rewards for donors:
• Donate $10 and receive a digital ringtone of the Derby Panther Fight Song.
• Donate $25 and receive a ringtone and a band T-shirt.
• Donate $100 and receive a ringtone, a band T-shirt and two tickets to a home football game to watch the band perform live at halftime.
• Donate $500 and the band will perform live at an event of your choosing. This could be a party, a parade, a grand opening or a community event. The time will have to be coordinated with Adam Devault, band director, so as not to conflict with regular marching events.
If you have information on this or other stories, contact Linda Stinnett at email@example.com.
Be the first to comment on this story.