Although the fun summer season is winding down, the staff at the Derby Public Library is making plans for a fabulous fall full of programs for families beginning Sept. 10.
Registration for fall programs begins Sept. 4, although not all programs require registration. Be sure to stop by the library to pick up a fall program brochure for all the details.
Early literacy programs
• Wonderful Ones – Thursdays, 10 a.m. Parents may introduce their 1-year-olds to the wonders of the library through this program, a 20-minute introduction to picture books featuring music and rhymes.
• Tales for Tots – Friday mornings at 9:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., or 11:15 a.m. This is a 20-minute program for 2-year-olds featuring music, flannel board participation, fun and books.
• Preschool Storytimes – Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. This is a 40-minute program for ages 3 to 5 and features stories and activities promoting early literacy skills and introducing preschoolers to the joys of the library.
• 6 by 6 Early Literacy Enrichment Program (new this fall) – 10:45-11:45 a.m. on Tuesdays, following preschool storytime. This will be for parents and caregivers and their children birth to age 6.
Adventures @ the Library
• Adventures @ the Library – Thursdays, 4 to 5 p.m. for kids from 5 to 12. This weekly, themed literacy program features games, books and lots of fun.
Themes include: First to Fly: Paper Airplane Races, Moustache Madness: Try One on For Size, and A Cookie for the President: Presidential Treats. Registration is not required, so bring a friend or two. Parents or a responsible adult with a child under the age of 7 must remain on the library premises during this program.
Monday Family Nights
• Monday Family Nights – 7 p.m. The entire family is invited to attend an evening program of sharing stories, songs, and crafts geared toward children ages 3 to 7. This fall Family Night will feature a Favorite Children’s Author Series focusing on a different author each week.
• Teen Scene – 4 to 5 p.m., Tuesdays. Teens, grades 6 through 12, in the Teen Scene area. Themes this fall include a Marvel Movie Series, Madden Tournament, Zombie Fest, and Cupcake Challenge. Snacks and fun are guaranteed.
• Teen Advisory Board – Teens interested in volunteering and giving input into library teen programming can come to TAB on the second Tuesday of each month from 4 to 5 p.m. This is a great opportunity to earn volunteer hours and help make the library a fun place for teens.
Fancy Nancy Mermaid Tea
• “Fancy” will be the word once again for this special program based on the Fancy Nancy books by Jane O’Connor. It will be for children ages 3 to 8 accompanied by an adult and will take place on Saturday, Sept. 15, from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Registration is required and begins Sept. 4.
National Gaming Day
• National Gaming Day Celebration – noon to 5 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 10. This is an event for the entire family and will feature board games and video games.
• Santa’s Village, presented by the Derby Arts Council and the Derby Public Library – Sunday, Dec. 2 from 1 to 5 p.m. Activities will include visits and photos with Santa, a train display, Santa’s Workshop craft, and Santa’s Elf Storytime.
For additional information on library programs, go to www.derbylibrary.com, visit the library at 1600 E. Walnut Grove or call 788-0760.
Be the first to comment on this story.